3.08.2018

Sometimes you wonder....

....if you are a good parent. 

Yes, we fail from time to time. Sometimes we focus so much on the negative that we forget the positive. We don't completely realize how much our kids are taking things in.

The other week, D and I went to see my dad. We took some gifts to him: a shirt, some sharpies, and D was convinced he needed some candy and picked Tick-Tacs. As dad saw everything, he said "Thank you! Everything I need!" To which D replied to him "Well......you don't need it." Dad asked what he meant. D told him "You don't need these things. There's only 3 things you need: family, food, and shelter.....ohhhh and God and Jesus...so 4!"

As we were leaving, D held the door open for me. I said to him "Thank you, sir!" He replied with "You're welcome ma'am!" He then proceeds to tell me "That is what people are supposed to do...men should always hold doors open for ladies. If they don't....they're just lazy!"

On the ride home, we got into a discussion about Heaven. D told me "Heaven is going to be perfect! Cuz there's no pain or crying or anything bad!"  I said "Yep! And we will be in perfect bodies" So he asked me "Are we going to look the same?" I told him I didn't know. 

I have waited too long to write about it, but this conversation went on for about 15 minutes (our car ride from dad's) and I can't remember what else was said. I'll do better next time. It was a precious talk we had.

Another time of proof of positivity: D is getting picked on on the bus. The couple of kids who are doing it have tried to get T to do something to D. Trevor has been very protective of his brother...which I have been proud of. The way these brothers fight....I sometimes wonder. So although I hate (which I don't use that word much) what is going on to D, I am glad his brother is by his side.

Another time of proof: M invited his girlfriend to church...not once but twice. I am so proud that he did that. And happy to hear from her mom that it has helped get her daughter back in church. 

Another time of proof: R had some things going on with his bank account. Now, I told him he'd have to call the bank himself and figure things out. I wasn't too sure how this would go with him. He agreed. Now....he had a little bit of trouble getting thru the automated part...but hey...we all do sometimes, don't we? lol. So I helped him thru that part. Once it got to a bank employee, I let him have at it. About 15 mins later, he brought me back my phone and told me what resulted. I am sooo proud of him.

So like I started this post off with....we so many often times focus on the negative and question ourselves, we need to look for more of the positives and realize we are doing what we can to prepare our kids for their future. 


0 comments: