7.24.2013

New pool, new dangerous recipe, and DIY wipe recipe

So a few years ago, a couple of WONDERFUL friends got Trev a pool for his b-day. It was surprising to L and me about how well they took care of it. It wasn't popped, they tried to keep all the "wonderful" grass clippings out of it, and kept the water in the right area. They kept it thru a whole summer. Then my parents came with their dog. And the dog liked it....and jumped thru it....and popped it. Thus went the pool.

Their old pool from some great friends :)

So this year, I wanted to get them a new one. Then we have gotten the lovely floods a'comin'. I saw no need cuz they wouldn't be able to enjoy it. We had a month (maybe a month and 1/2... I started to lose track) straight of rain everyday. However, at Family Dollar, I saw a pool for $10 and couldn't resist :) I still had to wait for the rains to calm down. So I hid the pool so the kids couldn't see it. You know how kids are...they see something, they want to do it, they beg, they beg, they ask, they ask....so I HAD to hide it.

Finally today I was confident enough that it wasn't going to rain (I kept getting worried of the "isolated thunderstorms" that never came), so as they were outside, I inflated it inside. Then I went outside and attached the hose. Now, parents do anything for their kids. I almost knocked off my knuckle for them. Our house isn't done the best, so the way our water "thingy" is on the house, it's recessed a bit too much, so my knuckle kept hitting the siding. 

Then I brought their pool outside. It's funny cuz the first thing I was thinking of as I was walking out the door was of determined little doggie Gus. Lol. Although I was going out the door, I was thinking of him :) As I go out the door and the boys see it, they ask me....yes, it's true...."Is that a pool?" I wish I was witty enough to say something that could be a type of "Here's your sign" :)
Mark...afraid to step in due to the water being cold
Easing in
I have also found my new favorite dessert recipe. It's dangerous though....cuz it's tooooo good. They are called Lazy Cookie Bars and are soooo delish. L kept laughing at me because I was Ohhhh and Ahhhh over them :)

DANGEROUS dessert :)
And last but not least, I am trying a DIY wipe recipe. There are so many out there, you just have to pick one and try it, then tweak it next time. First off, we use the HUGE rolls of paper towels. Cut the roll in half.

Pay no attention to the "wonderful" sawing
So finding a container for them was fun around here. Then I remembered we had just gotten some Maxwell containers from my dad. I know this won't work for every time (it will rust), but I'm out of wipes and have no car to go anywhere....have to make do :)

  

Paper towel roll fit nicely :)
The recipe I decided to use called for 2 cups of boiling water cooled down. This turned out to be too much. Then it is added to 2 tbsp baby shampoo and 1 tbsp baby oil. Waiting on the water to cool when I wanted to hurry up and do it is what got me :)
The baby oil and shampoo (left) and water cooling (right)
After putting them together, you pour it over the paper towels and let it sit for 10 minutes. Some recipes said to flip it and let it soak for another 10 minutes, so I did this also. Then you pull the cardboard out of the middle. Then you pull the paper towel from the middle. It reminds me of the wipes like Lysol or something that pulls from the middle.


I also squeezed some of the water out because like I said, the 2 cups was just too much, so go along with the 1 cup like most recipes say. I went with the 2 cups because of how big of a roll I was using, but it still ended up wayyyyy to wet.

I've never had boys want their faces wiped, but since I made these wipes myself, they wanted me to wipe their faces after supper :) We'll see how well they work for the bottom :) 

0 comments: