1.24.2007

More Idol?

This article was online today. Thought ya'll might want to hear about it. (For you Crystal :) )

American Idol appears to be the "show-that-can't-be-stopped." At last week's Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour, executives referred to it as the "Death Star" because it consistently destroys the competiton. And few expected that Amercan Idol, now in its six season, would not only maintain its monstrous ratings -- but continue to grow.It's no wonder then that Fox executives are planning on scheduling at least 45 hours of Idol -- and possibly more -- to take full advantage of their ratings powerhouse.
Idol will be used as a powerful lead-in to launch new shows, such as, David E. Kelley's The Wedding Bells, and will hopefully revive barely-breathing shows, such as the Brad Garrett sitcom, 'Til Death.
Competitors have accused the Fox network of "over-milking their cash cow" by adding more hours of Idol to its already-saturated Idol schedule each year. Of course, this criticism comes from networks that think America needs to view Deal or No Deal or CSI Whatever several thousand times a week. Considering the fact that Fox typically remains in last place among broadcast networks when Idol isn't on the schedule, you can't really blame them for pushing their "cash cow" for all it's worth, when it is.Only, I have to ask "How much Idol is too much Idol?" Right now, I'm already dreading the prospect of watching Idol three times in one week, as scheduled in upcoming weeks. And I find their 90-minute episodes to be a bit "too much" already, filled with fluff and commercials (which I'm going to skip on my DVR anyway). And if you really think about it, couldn't we cut the result shows completely, skip the Seacrest-rejection-theatrics, and just find the results posted online somewhere?
Yeah, maybe that wouldn't be any fun. Still, at which point, if any, will you get sick of viewing American Idol?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOO...never!! LOL I LOOOOOOOOOOVE american idol!! heehee

Last night..I went to get ice cream at the store (funny story on that...check my blog LOL) JUST to eat while watching American Idol. Got kids to bed...went to my room w/ my ice cream...ready for my show! Yeah one of my kids must have unplugged my DVR yesterday. And guess what? When its unplugged...shows don't get recorded! LOVE IT. I was so bummed. Atleast I'll get to watch it tonight! =)

~Crystal~ said...

I can't get enough AI!!! I wonder what I'll do if it ever, in the very far future, gets cancelled!