7.11.2006

My thoughts...

On going out with kids. Since everyone else is doing it hehe

I try my best not to take Ross out to WalMart that much. (In case you don't remember~he is diagnosed with a significant mood disorder, most likely, bipolar) It is sooo hard to guess at his mood swings. He is one that, once he gets into a temper tantrum, you have to give him an option (like~ "You have to settle down or you can't watch tv when we get home") and then you HAVE to ignore him. It makes it worse to do anything at that time. You have to let him settle down or he might get physical with you.

I most definitely agree that there are many kids that aren't disciplined. I still discipline him~ I just have to go thru a series of questions first 1)pick your battles (like any other parent~ but much more picky). There are things that can just inflame it more and others that help to diffuse the situation; 2) try and figure out "Is this him doing this or is this his disorder? Is he doing this on purpose or does he even realize he is doing it?" Especially if you suspect he's had a seizure~ he doesn't remember anything.

I used to be one of those people, when a kid was having a temper tantrum "Why don't they deal with them!!" But going thru this puts a bigger perspective on it for me. Again~ I do realize that there are many undisciplined kids out there, but the few and far between may be going thru the very frustrations I'm going thru.

Write ya later

1 comments:

~Crystal~ said...

Thanks for sharing that.